Search This Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2010

My husband. My hero.

Today marks the 4 year wedding anniversary of my husband and I. At least as documented by the province of Ontario. We prefer to celebrate the anniversary of when we first got together - May 12, 1999. That was 11 years ago, and add to that the year we spent getting acquainted as friends, makes 12 years of togetherness.

12 years is a long time to know a guy, but this guy still knows how to keep the fun and excitement alive. Take last night for example. It was late and I was shuffling around upstairs getting ready for bed when I heard him call for help. The tone in his voice told me right away that something wasn't right.

"I saw it again", he said as he met me at the foot of the stairs handing me my shoes to put on. He had mentioned earlier that day that he thought he saw something small scamper across the kitchen floor. It was too small and too fast to identify but, it could have been anything. We live in a really old house in the city, so it's not unheard-of for tiny outdoor critters to sometimes find their way indoors.

The rational part of my brain was telling me that anything so small is probably way more afraid of me than I should be of it. But still, the best I could do to help was stand very still feeling squeamish.

One of us had to do something, so without hesitation this husband of mine jumped into action. Imagine if you will, a thirty-something year old man bounding around the kitchen at 11 o'clock at night shoving appliances aside, with a large metal BBQ spatula (for squashing) in one hand and a plastic waste basket in another. "This is to trap it", he said, waving the basket at me.

By the end of the night nothing was trapped or squashed, but the sentiment was there. My husband was ready and willing to go head to head against the thing so that I wouldn't have to. My hero.

So husband, here's to you and me on our fruit & flower/ linen, silk, nylon/ appliances anniversary. May our happy old home be rid of creepy crawlies and unidentified critters,  and may the excitement continue for many, many more years to come.

xo

2 comments:

  1. Great tribute to your Hubby ;)
    Claudine

    ReplyDelete
  2. October 7, 12:05am:

    -mouse spotted on the kitchen counter
    -chase ensued
    -mouse got away
    -trap laid

    October 7, 6:55am:
    -mouse spotted in the trap
    -mouse disposed of

    enough said

    ReplyDelete